HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

A Texas Two Step

E-mail Print PDF

When it comes to your pet, watch your mouth!

By SHEILAH PEPPER

The Gazette Staff

A journal devoted to 'animal ethics' recently published an editorial that condemns the use of words such as "critters" and "beasts."

The editorial was jointly issued by a British professor of theology and an American academic at the University of Illinois.

The authors contend that domestic dogs, cats, hamsters and budgerigars should be rebranded as "companion animals" rather than "pets." Owners should become known as "human carers" – not as "owners."

They also state that authors are invited to use the words "free living," "free-ranging" or "free-roaming" in place of the term "wild animals." They state that, "For most, 'wildness' is synonymous with uncivilized, unrestrained, barbarous existence." They add that "There is a prejudgment here that should be avoided." Lord forbid that anyone should prejudge lions, tigers, leopards or rhinos, but some of the people who don't, end up in the headlines as casualties. What about the expression "wild places?" Would that be forbidden? It might also be noted that terms such as "bestiality" are inserted in the language of our criminal code.

The authors also say they would like to see some of the more colorful terms in the English language stamped out.

Phrases such as "sly as a fox," "drunk as a skunk." and "eat like a pig" are all unfair to animals, they claim.

They say this way of thinking injures our "moral relationship with animals."

But to the professors, I would say, with all due respect, my dog doesn't care what terms I use. He knows his name plus a couple of commands and that is all he really needs to know. Sorry about the word "commands" but that is what they are.

My dog is pretty sharp. He picks up words and of course, tone of voice. He knows when the cats are in trouble. He makes himself scarce in case I turn my temper on him. But I really don't think he cares how I refer to foxes, skunks or pigs. My dog likes to eat and play but he also has a job. He is a watch dog and he does his job well.

My cats do not care about my "moral relationship" to them. As far as they are concerned, they are the center of the universe. The ancient Egyptians considered them to be gods and they have never forgotten this. Their work/play is keeping field mice out of the back yard. They are extremely efficient at doing their job, although I do not care to watch them at work!

What is striking about this story is that we really do have academics that are actually getting paid to think about this stuff.

To me, that little lizard on my back porch is just another critter.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I suspect the professors may be wolves in sheep's clothing and possibly, greedy as hogs!

Copyright©2011SheilahPepper