• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

“Over My Shoulder…”

E-mail Print PDF
"Over My Shoulder..."
by
Steve H Kehoe
Two things give one a real sense of one's own mortality more acutely than anything else: First is a visit to a hospital for major surgery, or to visit one who has recently undergone major surgery; the other is reading the obituary of a dear friend-or even an acquaintance-while cutting the article out of the paper. In a practical sense, either experience is bound to bring tears to one's peepers. Such is the case today (Feb. 19th) when your author was reading in the Dallas Morning News about the wonderful and interesting life had by your friend and mine, Dick Brown. In point of fact, that statement could be made about (or even by) most anyone, but that in no way diminishes the fact that this Dallas-born southern gentleman was as selfless yet loved as anyone I have had the pleasure to be around, even if for a relatively short time. Dick was class president of his graduating class of '47 at Highland Park High School in Dallas, and entered the family business after graduating from UT-Austin. Dick married his beloved sweetheart Suzanne in 1950 at First Lutheran church in Dallas, then hit the road in sales. A two-story brick building in Dallas on Dyer street marks the headquarters of the family business started by his father, which included insurance and commercial and residential real estate. Dick loved golf, and amassed several trophies which attest to his skills on the greens. After selling his father's company in 1983, Dick again took to the road with the Gayle Linster Co. in Tampa and Nashville, and retired at age 65, moving to Holly Lake Ranch with his wife, who by then had contracted muscular dystrophy and was wheelchair-bound.

Dick and Suzanne attended Holly Chapel during their stay at HLR, and then moved two years ago to Bryan to be closer to their families. Surviving relatives include his wife, a sister living in the Woodlands near Houston, his son Dick and wife Kay of Dallas, and five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Mr. Dick Brown was a joy to all who had the pleasure to meet and do business with him, and he will be sorely missed by all who love and admire the life of this gentle man.

Steve H Kehoe