HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Pastor David Hicks

E-mail Print PDF
One of my favorite stories about trusting in God's promises comes from F. W. Boreham. He tells about an episode during the early days of his ministry in Australia. It seems that he went to call on one of his elderly parishioners. Entering the room where the old gentleman lay, he noticed a chair pulled up beside the man's bed. "I see that I am not your first visitor today," said Boreham. The old man then began to explain the presence of the empty chair. He said that when he was a small boy, he had difficulty praying. His pastor suggested that he overcome this difficulty by placing an empty chair in front of himself when he prayed, and by simply pretending that Jesus was sitting in that chair like an attentive friend. He said that he had maintained that habit ever since. Rev. Boreham left the house a short while later. A few days later, however, the man's daughter came by to tell him that her father had died. "I was out of the room for just a short time," said the daughter. "When I returned, he was gone. There was no change in him except I noticed that his hand was on the chair." May we ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins. May we allow Jesus to take us by the hand every day. May we follow his lead as he guides us and walks with us. And, may we follow him all the days of our life. Amen.
David Hicks, Pastor, Hawkins First United Methodist Church