HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Pastor David Hicks

E-mail Print PDF
Recently I was able to purchase a new car. My old car was paid for, had well over 100,000 miles on it, and had been damaged in a hail storm. A month or so ago I took my car in for its first oil change. While I was there I saw the salesman who had sold the car to me.
Near the end of our conversation, he said, "Please don't think that I just sold you your car and that was that. Don't think that I'm not here for you. If you need anything, just call on me!" I really appreciated he comments, and if I need to, I will put him to the test.
One thing that helps me in my faith walk is knowing that God didn't just create us and then leave us. Throughout the Bible there are verses which remind us of God's promised presence. For instance, in Joshua 1:5 the Lord promises not to leave Joshua: "No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you" (NIV). Also, the writer of Hebrews reminds us: "Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for He has said, `I will never leave you nor forsake you" (NRSV).
I don't know about you, but these verses, and many others, help bring peace to my heart in these troubled times. Whether we need anything or not, God is always there for us! David Hicks, pastor, First UMC, Hawkins