HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Pastor David Hicks

E-mail Print PDF
I read an article a number of years ago which was written by a United Methodist minister. In that article the minister referred to this time of year as "Hallowthankmas." Hallowthankmas is that season which begins with Halloween, and goes through the first of the new year. The minister defined it as that "three-month marathon of card-sending, party-throwing, putting up and taking down decorations, overeating and over-buying" binge that we go on each year. The pastor went on to say, "Nobody will admit to liking it, but we seem powerless to dump it."
You know, all the busy-ness during Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas sometimes tends to make us forget just what it is we are celebrating. The writer of the article says, "Americans during Hallowthankmas remind me of myself on those vaguely blue, out-of-sorts evenings when I find myself standing in front of the refrigerator with a spoon and a carton of ice cream. I want something, I'm not sure what, but ice cream will have to do. It's sweet and comforting and plentiful and it takes my mind off whatever it is that I want but don't have."
Having said all that - get ready to run and have fun and be done in during the season of Hallowthankmas. But while you are doing all that, take time to be thankful for God's blessings, and especially for God's greatest gift to us - Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world.
David Hicks, Pastor, Hawkins FUMC.