• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

A Texas Two Step

E-mail Print PDF
Food Police alert: Charged with "salt & fattery."
By SHEILAH PEPPER
The Gazette Staff
If you think the food police don't really exist, check out this story from Baltimore. The Baltimore City Health Department issued its first environmental citation for repeat violations of the city's ban on trans fat.
The health department issued a Baltimore food facility a $100 fine recently.
"It was the second time they were found with a high trans fat level in their ingredients," according to Juan Gutierrez, an agent for the department.
Officials said that during inspections in July and August, the facility was found to be using a margarine product with trans fat levels in excess of what the law allows.
A source said that health department storm troopers are referring to this particular type of crime as "a salt & fattery!"
Baltimore's Commissioner of Health Dr. Oxiris Barbot is quoted as saying, "We are pleased with the high rates of compliance we have seen since the ban took effect, we will continue to sanction businesses that repeatedly fail to comply." Blogger Doug Powers gives the impression that Dr. Barbot speaks with a Middle European accent, which would make his statement even scarier. There seem to be many people in America who don't understand the ideas of choice and freedom.
Oddly enough, you can go into any supermarket in Baltimore and buy a spread or margarine that exceeds the allowed trans fat levels without penalty.
A charge of "a salt & fattery" may sound humorous, but the intent behind it is not.
I find it strange, with all the major problems our country is facing, that proponents of the Nanny State can find time to mess around with the food we eat. Yet Michelle Obama and her cronies in the bureaucracy keep pushing this as an issue. In New York, Mayor Bloomberg wants to limit the use of salt in restaurants. But people vary. What amount to too much salt for one person may be too little for another. What is really worrisome is that everyday simple decisions such as the use of a salt shaker are being removed from individuals.
I suppose it keeps bureaucrats busy who would otherwise be idle. But it's another great reason to start some real and meaningful cut backs in the federal workforce.
They are already talking about certain foods that won't be covered by food stamp purchases. Although, if you are getting stamps from the government, I suppose they have the right to step in and disallow certain purchases. But I wonder if we are heading for a day when everything will be monitored at the checkout counter
With some political figures saying that we can't think straight, it's no wonder that the food police are convinced that we don't know what's good for us. The arrogance of the political class is really amazing.
Copyright©2010SheilahPepper