HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Veterans Day Memorial at the Wall

E-mail Print PDF
The Greater Hawkins Veterans Memorial Association will honor the local Holly Lake/Hawkins veterans at the Veterans Memorial Wall on Thursday, November 11th at 2:30 P. M.
The program will begin with fly-overs at the beginning and end of the program, (weather permitting). Music will be provided by the Jarvis Christian College Choir, and presentation of Colors by Alert Academy. Amazing Grace and Taps will be performed by Jeff Barnett, bagpiper and Tyler Fireman.
The Keynote Speaker will be Neal Barton, NBC Newscaster, whose popular segment, P. O. V. is seen each week night.
For those attending, it is recommended that you bring your own chairs and in case of inclement weather, the program will move to the Pavilion behind the City National Bank in Hawkins. Please attend and tell your friends about this important day since it will be the 10th Anniversary of the opening of the Wall.
Neal Barton bio
I was born and raised in Beaumont in southeast Texas. Most of my father's family were from right here in East Texas. Needless to say, I grew up around these parts doing what boys in East Texas do, hunt, fish and lie about hunting and fishing.
I graduated from Lamar University in 1981. I also Completed the Program for Broadcast Meteorologists from Mississippi State.(that's right, in my other life I was a television meteorologist with seals of approval from the National Weather Association and the American Meteorological Society. Now you know why I kid Scott Chesner so much about the weather.) I have done every job in a TV newsroom. I have even hosted two talk shows. I've worked in Dallas twice, Seattle and Nashville and some other markets, but the Statute of Limitations has not run out, so, let's keep that quiet.
I am married to the former Renee' Rhodes from Seattle, Washington. We live in Tyler with three cats, Abi, Cali and Uncle Lewey.