Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Restaurant Review

E-mail Print PDF
Restaurant review: Pico de Gallo
Big Sandy
I know many of us like a change of pace in the food we eat from time to time. Have you ever ventured over to Big Sandy, to a place called Pico de Gallo? Loosely translated, the name means "Beak of the Rooster"-so-called for its sharp tastes found in the dish of cubed tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Owner Armando Ocampo is going on his third successful year at the same location: 102 East Broadway Avenue, just before the Hwy 155 north turn-off as you're going east on Highway 80-that "road of roads". Armando and his waitstaff do a highly credible job of combining some authentic Mexican recipes with the ubiquitous "Tex-Mex", so there is something suitable for all tastes. My "B.W." and I ventured over there the other night and were delighted with our shredded chicken nachos, and something surprisingly good: shrimp nachos-nachos camarones. This dish is enhanced by a garlic sauce with a bit of-unidentifiable-tang. The menu is surprisingly varied-they even offer American dishes, though for the life of me I have never understood the logic of going to a Mexican restaurant and expecting cuisine de los Americanos. I mean, if I want a hamburger or chicken-fried steak, or BBQ, I'd head the Red Rocket in that direction. Oh, well, another unsolved mystery of the Universe.
Everything is made fresh on-property, and they offer a very attractive lunch buffet with hot and cold items priced from $6.99 to $8.99. Lunch specials, including the lavish buffet, are served from 11 to 3 seven days a week. Regular hours are: Mon-Thurs: 11 to 9, Fri-Sat: 11 to 9:30, and 11 to 8 on Sunday. Home-made tortillas are free (one per person) as is free ice cream. No alcohol is served, but Armando has a large selection of bebidas, including tasty ice-cold Jarritos. An interesting fact is that all dishes are pictured in color on the menu; Some of this writer's favorites include the Shrimp a la Mexicana and the Green Enchilada dinner. All items are prepared fresh-to-order, and the buffet is refreshed often, insuring top quality in appearance as well as taste. Phone # is 903-636-5666. Venture down picturesque Highway 80 for a change of pace, and let Armando Ocampo and his staff welcome you to an afternoon or evening of dining pleasure. One negative item is that breakfast is no longer offered on Saturday or Sunday, as before.
Steve H Kehoe This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it