HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Inky & John The Saga Continues

E-mail Print PDF
The Open Road
"A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou beside me in the wilderness" Sounds like a plan to me, even if the guy who wrote it did die in 1123AD. My wife (the most royal Queen of Pine Hill) and I look forward so much to our once yearly romantic getaway to California. We walk on the beach, spend hours watching the sailboats, have picnic lunches at our favorite winery in Santa Ynez Valley, enjoy all the beautiful trees in bloom and so many other things. Changes of any kind in our structured plan are viewed darkly, and the very idea of taking our little four legged family had been a difficult adjustment, so any further changes that Inky would come up with were, to say the least, unwelcome. But I'm not worried because I will be strong! I will not give in! Why do I keep looking over my shoulder at the kitchen door? All of a sudden there they are, standing in the doorway - - framed in the light from the kitchen window - - the INKY MOB!
"JOHN! WE MUST TALK!"
Oh, boy, what now? Inky trots over and hops into my lap.
"John, we are very concerned about being put into the luggage compartment on the plane. We fear for our safety, and you must admit it won't be a very enjoyable trip for us. Isn't there
something you can do so we can all be together?" It does not get any easier when I know he's right. I've grown very close to my little pal over the years and I can tell by looking at that cute little flat nose and that one black eye that he is really unhappy. I'm thinking about what he said when he curled up in my lap and fixed his most innocent, sweet gaze on me and said, "Please, John, we all want to be with you and Mom."
Suddenly it was like the proverbial light bulb going on in my brain. I said, "Inky, I need to get up. I have to go find Mom and ask her something." I walked down the hall to the sewing room where my wife was busy studying her wardrobe for the trip. This was kind of a radical request so I decided to ease into it. "Whatcha doin'?", I casually asked as I entered the room.
"I'm trying to decide what to wear on our vacation. You know how limited our space is on the plane." AHA! A golden opportunity I DIDN'T expect! "Well, I may have the solution to all your problems."
She looked at me with a questioning eye and asked, "What have you and Inky been up to? You know I don't like to change things." "I think you're going to like this change. How about if we took the car this year? We could go by Grand Canyon. We could take a day and go to Hollywood, and Malibu. We'd probably even save money. How about it?"
She thought about it for a minute, then said, "That's not a bad idea. We'll talk about it over supper."
As I turned to go back to my office, I noticed three little noses peeking around the corner at me. "Come on, guys, we have solved the problem." With that we all trotted down the hall. I TROTTED DOWN THE HALL? I need professional help!