HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Inky & John The Saga Continues

E-mail Print PDF
The Vet, Continued
I want everyone to understand that I've done this "trip to the vet" thing before and I am aware of how interesting it can be. I have, therefore, reminded Inky that it is his responsibility to keep Pancho from making a pass at every girl in the place. Somehow I didn't feel all that reassured, nonetheless we were going to the veterinarian's office. We had given baths to everyone involved and combed Inky's hair, (he is NOT fond of that!) so we were now ready. I herded them out the door and into the Jeep, then we headed for town.
On the way in everyone was very excited as they grumbled and chatted back and forth with each other. I'm always curious what they are talking about, but I decided to stick to my driving and let Inky fill me in later. As we pulled into the parking lot, Inky hopped up in the front seat beside me. "John, I don't think this is going to work out between Pancho and me. He seems to be determined to say ‘Hello' to the girls his own way in."
Aha! So, we're going to have a test of wills, are we? Well, I'm certainly up to any pint-sized little urchin of a Chihuahua! "You tell him it's my way or the highway, and I mean it!"
With that we went in and sure enough, one of the pretty girls was at the front counter. While I was telling her about what needed to be done, Inky started tugging at my pants-leg. I picked him up and he whispered in my ear.
"Pancho says that, if you don't pick him up and put him on the counter, he and Spots will sing."
Blackmail! I'm being blackmailed by a tiny, off-white termite! About that time they burst into song and I caved. "OK, OK, I give, come here, you little pepper pot."
I picked Pancho up and placed him on the counter. He immediately started ogling the girls and, of course, they all had to pat his head and tell him how cute he was. I wouldn't mind this at all, if it weren't for the fact that he wants to go home with all of them. Finally I was able to get him down and start the process moving again. We sat down to wait our turn and everything was fine until a lady came in with a really cute female Chihuahua. I don't want to discuss how the rest of the visit went, except to say that the lady was really giving me mean stares when we finally went into the doctor's office. He wanted to know what all the noise in the lobby was, and I played dumb (my friends will tell you that is easy for me). On the way home everyone was quiet until Inky hopped up in the front seat and said, "I think it went rather well, don't you?"
I can just see these guys in California - - and that IS a scary thought!