HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Hensarling meets w/

E-mail Print PDF
HOLLY LAKE RANCH - Congressman Jeb Hensarling (TX-05) met Saturday with a group of Wood County veterans to hear their concerns and input on federal issues and legislation that affects them.
"As a Congressman, one of my top priorities is to ensure that our nation's military service veterans receive the help and care that they need and deserve," said Hensarling. "Today, there are over 25 million veterans in the United States, and there is no group of Americans to whom we owe greater thanks. That is why it is so important for me to stay in touch with them about issues that affect them.
Hensarling, the son, grandson and brother of veterans, has fought for improved service from the Veterans Administration (VA) and increased funding in key legislation. In 2009, after hearing from veterans across his district concerned with the service they received from the VA Regional Office in Waco, Congressman Hensarling met with the director of the regional office to address those concerns. In June of this year, the VA announced changes to its claims processes to expedite the process for veterans seeking compensation for disabilities related to their military service.
"Veterans have made tremendous sacrifices to protect our freedom," said Hensarling.  "We need to let them know that we appreciate all that they have done for our country.  I want to make sure that our veterans receive the best service from the Department of Veterans Affairs that they deserve, including improving communication and improve wait time for veterans with a claim in the appeal process."
Hensarling has consistently and strongly supported increased funding for the men and women who have served in the Armed Forces. He supported the House-passed 2011 Military Construction-Veterans Affairs appropriations bill in July of 2010, which provides $56.8 billion in discretionary funding for veterans (and is $3.8 billion over last year's amount).
Hensarling has also supported an enhanced concurrent receipt so that veterans can receive the benefits they earned, as well as enhanced survivor benefits for spouses and dependants of service members and veterans. He has voted to give guaranteed pay raises to our active duty and reserve component service members.
Much of the discussion at the meeting centered around current national policies, especially the national debt and spending habits of Washington. Hensarling referenced the recent comments of Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of the Staff, who said that "the biggest threat we have to our national security is our debt."
"The fact is that our nation is facing an impending fiscal disaster which, left unaddressed, may prevent us from honoring our commitment to veterans, as well as severely threaten our national security," Hensarling added.
Hensarling added, "I believe we should always honor the sacrifice and service of the men and women who served our nation in uniform, as well as their families. I have consistently worked to make sure our veterans and their families get the care and support they deserve and will continue to do so."

"President Calvin Coolidge once said, ‘The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.' I for one am committed to ensuring this nation never forgets,"
Hensarling concluded.