HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Scout Awards

E-mail Print PDF
Hawkins,TX (KLTV)- Two young East Texas men, fromHawkins,have achieved the highest rank a scout can achieve. Troupe 391 scouts Tyler Smith and Blake Simmons of Hawkins have both been in scouting for years , and sport a flurry of merit badges.
"I feel grateful that I had such great adult leaders in our troupe, it made scouting enjoyable here in Hawkins," says Tyler.
"These guys represent what it means to be an Eagle Scout. I've been watching them, and was a scout master when they joined the troop. They're about as good a kids as you'll see," says former scoutmaster Ron Rutherford.
In a time honored ceremony , they were both part of the Eagle Court of Honor, both achieving the highest rank of scouting. Eagle.
"Of everybody that takes scouting , only 4 percent make it to eagle" says troop scoutmaster Wesley Marsh.
Only 4 out of every 100 will make it this far.
"I feel great, its taught me how life is going to be and teaches you what you have to do in life," says Simmons.
A bigger achievement, is the lesson of finishing what you start.
"You really have nothing to show for it if you don't, just a tremendous help in anything you would ever do in life," Smith says.
Simmons is planning to convert his scouting experience in service to his country , by joining the armed forces. Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved

After the ceremony, we took Tyler to Gladewater for a tandem parachute jump from
10,000 feet! He was stoked (his words). I don't think we could have given him a
better gift. It's so awesome to see the chute open up and then when close enough,
hear Tyler whoopin' it up with a tremendous shout-out! He had a blast. We will have
a video of the event and some still shots. Will try to put the stills on Facebook.
Again, thanks to all of you...our fantastic family and our dear friends...thank you so
much for coming and/or keeping our boys in your prayers. They DID IT! Woohoo!
Love and God Bless to you all every second you keep Him in your heart.
Linda and Monte Smith.