HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

AS TIME GOES BY

E-mail Print PDF
More county historical markers
With the ongoing nice weather offering opportunities for leisurely country drives, here is some further information on a few of the many historic markers scattered around Wood County.
James A. Stinson Home
This marker reads, "Constructed in 1869 of virgin pine and oak by James A. Stinson, a widower who came to Texas from Georgia after having served a colonel in the Confederate Army. He brought with him his daughter Sallie. He bought extensive timber and farm lands in the Eastern area of Wood County, operated a large sawmill which sent lumber throughout the state, and was also known as an early day scientific farmer.
Mrs. Nathan Jones, a widow with one daughter, Mary, became the second wife of Col. Stinson. They had two daughters, Lilly and Cliffie, and one son, James F.
In the parlor of the house, on April 22, 1874, Sallie Stinson married James. S. Hogg, who later became the first native-born governor of the state of Texas.
Col. Stinson was a Southern aristocrat, a progressive thinker and a great scholar of government. He had great influence on James Hogg's ideas on good government, was a leader in the County and State Grange, an organization which strove to protect rural interests. He was also instrumental in getting amended into law the bill creating experimental farming - Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College. The Stinson home was always open to young and old."
This marker is located in James S. Hogg Park in Quitman.
The Macedonia School
This marker reads "One of the first one-teacher schools in Wood served the county's earliest community, Macedonia, which was renamed Redland in 1900. Land for the school was donated by W. M. McCarrol in 1855. W. M. Harris was one of the first teachers. The school consolidated with the Hawkins Independent School District in 1944."
The marker was dedicated in 1969 and is located on FM 778 between Hainesville and Highway 80.
The Charter Oak marker
This marker reads "Under a large post oak (300 ft. NW) on Geer's farm, Aug. 5, 1850, Wood County was organized. Commissioners Reuben Elledge, Joseph Fisher, George Greer, Henry Stout, and Gilbert Yarbrough met with twenty other men to choose site for county seat and elect first officials. Elected were the chief justice, D.O. Norton; county clerk, Ambrose Fitzgerald; treasurer, Henry W. Norton; tax assessor-collector, Gilbert Yarbrough; sheriff, Henry Stout; and county commissioners, Daniel Center, P.M. Gunstream, William Rice, Peter Rozell. Historic oak killed by lightening in 1950."
This marker was dedicated Dec. 15, 1973 and is located on FM 49, Hainesville highway, about three and one-half miles east of Mineola. NOTE: last weeks printed column was cut short but entire amount was put on website, hlrgazette.com. It also dealt with markers. W.C.
 

The only searchable local paper.