• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Dash of Pepper

E-mail Print PDF

The "fishy" stuff is in the bill
By SHEILAH PEPPER
The Gazette Staff

A White House healthcare communications person has asked Americans to flag the White House about e-mails and even casual conversations containing "fishy" information about the president's proposed health legislation. If you read various section of the legislation, more and more fishy stuff emerges.
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is taking flak for calling the "End of Life" counselors in the Obama health plan a "death panel." Supporters of the plan say that the counseling for senior citizens is "voluntary."
But that is not true, according to The Washington Post, not known to be pro-Republican.
Charles Lane of the Post has taken a close look at Section 1233 of the House-drafted version of the Democrats health legislation and he is concerned.
He wrote, "Section 1233 lets doctors initiate the chat and gives them an incentive - money - to do so. Indeed, that's an incentive to insist." Lane notes that common sense would tells us that Section 1233 would place senior citizens in a situation where they will feel pressured to sign end-of-life directives that they would not otherwise sign.
Here's is Lane's conclusion:
"Ideally, the delicate decisions about how to manage life's end would be made in a setting that is neutral in both appearance and fact. Yes, it's good to have a doctor's perspective. But Section 1233 goes beyond facilitating doctor input to preferring it. Indeed, the measure would have an interested party - the government - recruit doctors to sell the elderly on living wills, hospice care and their associated providers, professions and organizations. You don't have to be a right-wing wacko to question that approach.
As it happens, I have a living will and a durable power of attorney for health care. I'm glad I do. I drew them up based on publicly available medical information, in consultation with my family and a lawyer. No authority figure got paid by federal bean-counters to influence me. I have a hunch I'm not the only one who would rather do it that way."
The other falsehood being peddled by the administration is that there will not be rationing. Anyone with the slightest understanding of the marketplace realizes that private insurance will disappear if the public option comes into play. The government has deep pockets and will undercut the private plans. It may take a few years to happen, as Mr. Obama has said publicly in the past, but it will happen. He has said he wants a single-payer system, such as those in Canada and Great Britain. Both are now in shambles. But he and his minions are pretending otherwise.
Now the drug companies are throwing support to the President's plan and will shortly launch a $150 million advertising campaign. Big Pharma sees thousands of new customers ahead. It's not likely that people worried about this legislative monstrosity can raise a similar amount. The ad agencies involved are those that created Obama's campaign advertising.
Obama promised a crackdown on lobbyists. But the health lobbyists are more powerful than ever.
So much for Obama's promise of transparency. Now he has called out the SEIU and ACORN to make things really nasty and discredit Americans expressing their worries about nationalized healthcare. He knows the socialized system doesn't work well. But it's not about YOUR HEALTHCARE. It's about consolidating his POWER.
Copyright©2009SheilahPepper

The only searchable local paper.