Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Front page story-Mosquitos

E-mail Print PDF

180px-mosquito_2007-2.jpgMOSQUITO
FARMING

It didn't start that way, back in 2006, but then hundreds of thousands of tires started to pile up and the "lil buggers" completely took over a Hawkins jobs program that had gone astray. The years 2007, 2008 and early 2009 were full of broken promises and the people of Hawkins were suffering from swarms of the dangerous pests. How long would the stalemate go on before some citizen said, "enough is enough"? We found out early on the morning of Tuesday May 26, 2009 when the giant fire began. The fire finally brought some action and the word is that the State of Texas (see Bryan Hughes email on page 5) is taking bids on a $1.2 million dollar bailout project to clean up the (Mosquito Farm) 300,000 tires for the city. Putting out the fire wasn't cheap either (reports of up to $1 million also) but someone else (possibly Foster Tire) will pay that one. Up to $1.5 million of State taxpayor funds will have been wasted, hundreds of VFD hours will have been logged and a citizen arrested for alledgely setting the fire. The city of Hawkins, so far, has escaped paying most of the big bills . W.C.

June 12, 2009 Email from Bryan Hughes office in Austin,

Mr. Crabtree,
Thanks for taking my call this afternoon. As promised, I've put together some information for you on the Legislature's approval of $1.2 million to cleanup the scrap tire site in Hawkins.
On December 11, 2008, a district court in Travis County ordered Foster & Porter, LLC to permanently cease operations and pay nearly half a million dollars in fines to the State of Texas for failing to comply with state laws on scrap tire operations. Because the tire site represented a hazard to the health and safety of the people in Hawkins, Rep. Hughes authored a rider to the state budget appropriating $1.2 million to clean up the tire site. The funding was approved by the Texas Legislature on May 29, 2009. Normally, the state cannot begin any work on a project funded in the state budget until the new fiscal year, September 1, 2009. However, in this case, Rep. Hughes asked the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to expedite the process, and the state will begin the bidding process this month. Once a contract is awarded, the tires will be removed from the site in Hawkins and taken to a fully licensed tire deposal facility for final disposition.
Some clean up work on the site has already begun and is funded through a bond deposited by Foster & Porter when they originally applied for their license. The remaining work will be funded through the $1.2 million appropriation approved in late May.
I know you spoke with Rep. Hughes this afternoon. You probably got a quote or two from him during that conversation, but if not, feel free to use this statement:
"I'm so glad we were able to get this in the budget to help the folks in Hawkins," said Rep. Bryan Hughes.
Attached for your review is a copy of Rider 34 to the General Appropriations Act, which funded the clean up project. The wording of the rider says that the funds are appropriated for fiscal year 2010. Fiscal year 2010 begins on September 1, 2009. I've also attached a copy of the district court's order from December 2008.
Thanks again for calling us. Let me know if you have any questions, or if you need anything. I'll be in and out of the office on Friday, so if you need to reach me while I am out (or over the weekend), my cell number is 512-417-0352.
DANIEL DESLATTE
Chief of Staff, Rep. Bryan Hughes, 512-463-0271 (ofc) , 512-463-1515 (fax) , This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 June 2009 18:31  

The only searchable local paper.