Gingrich Convert to Roman Catholicism.

Print

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is providing few details about his recent decision to convert to Roman Catholicism.

Gingrich previously had identified as a Baptist, but two Saturdays ago in Washington, DC, the former House Speaker was officially confirmed into the Catholic Church.
Gingrich, whose third wife Calista is a Catholic, recently criticized the University of Notre Dame for inviting President Obama to speak at its commencement, saying Obama's "policies are so anti-Catholic values." In an interview with OneNewsNow, Gingrich was reluctant to explain why he "swam the Tiber."
"I haven't talked about this much in public, and I'm not going to for at least six months or a year, but I will say that I found myself deeply comforted, and a deep sense of belonging and of finding a peace in my soul in a way that I just found very, very powerful," he explains.
Other high-profile Catholic converts from the political realm include Sam Brownback, Bobby Jindal, Jeb Bush, and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Last Updated on Saturday, 11 April 2009 15:43