HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Editorial

E-mail Print PDF

Inspiring public confidence as we attempt to make a bottom.

As I write this on Sunday March 8th, I feel like I have been on the "big hill" of the world's largest roller coaster. Sure there have been some uphill moves but we are going lower and lower with this current stock market. Makes me remember what my kids would say on a trip.They would cry from the back seat, " Daddy are we there yet?" And I would answer, "no darling not yet, but we are getting close".
The market has moved low enough to be called a completed correction, as we are down over 50% from the highs. (DJ low of 6,443 as of last Friday) The only thing we are lacking is confidence. Public Confidence.
The only person who can give us this confidence is our new president Barack Obama, and the only way he can do it is to call in his former opponent John McCain and jointly put together a bill to cancel the "piece of pork" described to the right in Dowd's column. That new bill should cancel the pork, deceit, and lies that are currently present. In the process Obama would reclaim his campaign pledge not to have ANY ear marks, not one! That would be "true high ground".
Then the American people could have confidence in their economy and their President and the rally could finally begin. The world would also be able to gain confidence from such a change in events. Mr. President, the people remember what you said in your campaign, which was, "not one ear mark" in the stimulus bill. W.C.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2009 20:29  

The only searchable local paper.