• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Dash of Pepper

E-mail Print PDF
Hold the fried chicken!
By SHEILAH PEPPER
The Gazette Staff
We're getting into the summer silly season and most people won't pay much attention to the serious issues we face until after the political conventions - the Democrats in August and the Republicans in the first week of September. So it's time for some lighter fare.
A recent newspaper article I came across offers this tasty tidbit:
"Warning to Southern delegates to the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver this August: It will be a no-fry zone.
As part of the effort to make the August 25 - 28 convention the greenest ever, the Democrats guidelines for food catering includes one that strikes at the heart of Southern cuisine: No fried food.
No fried chicken. No fried catfish. No fried green tomatoes. No fried okra. No fried anything.
In promoting healthy eating habits, the Democrat guidelines say every meal should be nutritious and include ‘at least three of the following colors: red, green, yellow, purple/blue and white.'
‘It's the new patriotism,' said Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, the driving force behind the greening of the Democrat convention.'"
It's amusing and characteristic of Liberals that they can't leave well enough alone and just let everyone have a good time. They might as well say, "Hey, you're a bunch of ignorant slobs who don't know what's good for you." They can't resist managing the minutiae of people's lives, not only in government, but even at their own convention.
For a part of their business life, my parents owned and ran a catering company. Does anyone assume that a caterer does not want to serve food that is both nutritious and delicious?
Given that fried foods are very labor-intensive, I think most caterers would not opt to have them on the menu, especially if they are serving a huge number of people, as they will be in Denver. As for the "color" guidelines, the caterers are probably scratching their heads - but I would guess this means they'll be asked to focus on fruit and vegetables. As for the "white" part of the guideline, I guess fish and white meat chicken will be the options, although "red" could include red meat!
I'm still trying to figure out what the purple/blue food might be. Eggplant, anyone?
I have visions of little towers of finely chopped raw veggies. I also have visions of Southern men and ladies sneaking out the side door for a meal at the local fried chicken house!
Snack packs could be dried fruits, and nuts of various sorts. No corn or potato chips and probably few sweets. I'd advise the delegates to bring their own survival packs.
What about breakfast? Will the sausage and biscuits with cream gravy be replaced by yet more fruit and granola?
I'm trying to envision the expression on the face of Bubba from Alabama when he is presented with a little hunk of ahi tuna tartare (meaning raw) sitting on a little bed of mixed spring greens! Or, the menu alternate might be baby Colorado loin lamb chops. I love lamb, having been raised with it, but I think most Southerners would prefer a bone-in rib eye!
Seems to me a part of the fun of attending a convention is the chance to eat things you would not normally have on an average day at home.
Personally, I think the Democrats would be wise to stock up on coconut cream cakes and sweet potato pies. The delegates are going to have plenty happening to them on the floor, and a few sweet treats would be a way to keep tempers from getting out of hand, although this might raise the risk of a food fight!
It's going to be a long and silly summer.
Copyright©2008SheilahPepper
Last Updated on Friday, 12 June 2009 14:39  

The only searchable local paper.