HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Perspective Why?

E-mail Print PDF
By JOHN SPARKS

I have been covering various school boards for news media for the past 15 years-or-so. I have grown in appreciation for the role and responsibility of trustees.

I've also watched the changing role of superintendents of schools in Texas, dancing on strings being pulled by the Texas legislature, the federal government, their School Boards of Trustees, and, of course, parents (or the lack of) of school children.

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly of all of the above.

Dan Rose is, and has been, a very good superintendent for the Hawkins schools. He came into a most difficult situation, addressed pending problems, a lack of motivation, a lack of direction, in-fighting, deteriorating and neglected facilities, and general apathy.

Under Rose's leadership, expectations have been raised for everyone involved in the learning, teaching and administrative processes in the Hawkins schools. Importantly, he has overseen the continuing uptrend in achievement levels in student test results, improved morale and direction of the staff, the passage of a desperately needed $15-million renovation and building bond issue, and the subsequent implementation of that program. The school district's financial performance is in excellent shape. He was named "Man of the Year" by the C of C.

So, the question that voters and citizens need to be asking of trustees of the district is "Why" they voted 4-to-3 to not extend the contract of Superintendent Dan Rose. Yes, Rose's current contract does not expire until June 30, 2010, but the reality of the vote is Bon Voyage.
Why????

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2009 15:13  

The only searchable local paper.