Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Lake Hawkins

E-mail Print PDF

Lake Hawkins hearing Tuesday
re: Fellowship sewage treatment

Responding to a petition with hundreds of signatures and a request by the Wood County Commissioners Court, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has set a public meeting to hear concerns regarding plans by Fellowship Church of Grapevine Texas for a sewage treatment plant that would place treated effluent directly into Lake Hawkins.

The meeting will be held Tuesday, February 5 at 7 p.m. The location of the meeting is the Hawkins Multi-Purpose Community Center at 300 Lynch Street.

The proposed sewage treatment plant will serve the needs of a camp and retreat center that is currently under construction at the west end of Lake Hawkins. Fellowship Church is seeking a wastewater permit to operate the facility which would be limited to "a daily average flow not to exceed 40,000 gallons per day." Fellowship is planning to conduct camps and retreats beginning this coming summer.

Fellowship Church is a non-denominational congregation headed by Ed Young and his wife Lisa. Weekly attendance at the sprawling Grapevine campus is 15,000 to 20,000.

Lake Hawkins Sewage Issue
From: Ricky Rutherford ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )
Date: January 25, 2008

Craig,
I recently spoke with the Lake Hawkins Home Owners Association, the Friends of Lake Hawkins and the Wood County Precinct 3 Commissioner, Roger Pace. We are all in agreement that if Fellowship Church will put its treated wastewater into your lake (Whisenhunt?) first, then that would be a win-win situation for all parties.

If there is anything that we can do to facilitate this happening, then we will do that. This change would be good for the community, for the property owners around the Lake Hawkins, and all involved. We will strongly encourage the TCEQ to amend their permit to move the discharge line into your Lake Whisenhunt.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Please call me at 903-452-0071, if you have a question, or if I can help you in any way.

Ricky Rutherford
P. O. Box 392
Hawkins, Texas 75675

Last Updated on Friday, 17 April 2009 15:24  

The only searchable local paper.