HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Wood County properties recognized by Family Land Heritage Program

E-mail Print PDF

The Family Land Heritage Program, operated by the Texas Department of Agriculture, has recognized more than 4,200 farms and ranches in 232 counties for being maintained in continuous agricultural operation by the same family for 100 years or more.

The following farms and ranches in Wood County have been recognized as part of this program: The first date is when the farm or ranch was established by the founder. The date in parenthesis is when the property was recognized by the Family Land Heritage Program and also corresponds to the registry year in which the farm or ranch's history is located.

• Allen Farm, 1859 (1976) - two miles west of Winnsboro.
• Black Cattle Farm, 1867 (1974) - two miles southwest of Winnsboro
• Blalock Farm, 1855 (1974) (2005 - 150 years) - Three and one-half miles north of Quitman.
• Browning Farm, 1860 (1995) - five miles south of Winnsboro on FM 312
• Caldwell Farms, 1869 (1999) - 10 miles south of Winnsboro at East Point on CR 4790 off FM 2088 and Hwy 312
• Cathey Farm, 1858 (1974) - One and one-half miles west of Quitman
• Cathey Farm, 1858 (1975) - two miles west of Quitman on Hwy 182
• Chrietzberg Farm, 1870 (1974) - one mile south of Quitman
• Craddock-Hamm Farm, 1903 (2003) - three miles southwest of Winnsboro on CR 4815
• Dear's Ranch, 1890 (1994) - two and one-half miles northeast of Mineola, west of FM 1254
• Dodson's Farm, 1880 (1982) - two miles east of Mineola
• Greer Farm, 1842 (1974) - three and one-half miles east of Mineola
• Hester Farm, 1848 (1974) - 12 miles southeast of Winnsboro
• Ingram Ranch, 1861 (1974) - two and one-half miles north of Quitman
• Jarred Farm, 1836 (1974) - eight miles south of Winnsboro
• Liles Farm, 1858 (1975) - one and one-half miles west of Quitman
• McWhorter Farm, 1858 (1974) - one and one-half miles west of Quitman
• Paschall Farm, 1864 (1974) - seven miles south of Winnsboro
• Joseph Simpkins Ranch, 1847 (1996) - one-quarter mile south of Alba
• Smith Ranch, 1854 (1979) - five miles northeast of Mineola

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2009 16:49  

The only searchable local paper.