Wood County Commissioners Court
Motorgrader to be sold; Mailing system up-grade for tax office
By JOHN SPARKS
Meeting in regular session Friday, September 30, Wood County Commissioners approved advertising to sell a motorgrader from Precinct 3 and a new printing and mail sorting system for the tax office.
In the absence of Wood County Judge Bryan Jeanes, the meeting was presided over by Commissioner Roger Pace, Precinct-3.
The sale of the motorgrader has become a common practice by the county in disposing of large, expensive equipment. When purchasing such equipment, the county enters into a buy-back agreement with the seller which fixes a value on the used equipment. With the county's tax exemption and the buying power of a "collective" of county governments, the original purchase price is well below list price. Pace often cites as an example of this practice the sale of a Caterpillar 140H which the county purchased for $162,000, used for three years, and then sold for $197,000.
The court approved an agreement with Pitney Bowes to provide a new system that will permit the tax office to print process and mail tax statements in house. Carol Taylor, Wood County Tax Assessor/Collector said the system would make the process more efficient.
The court also approved:
- a two-week County payroll of $280,340.98.
- a two-week employee and family health, dental and vision claims of $84,521.58.
- claims and payments totaling $277,527.38.
- budget line-item transfers ($31, 913.00).
- private estate sections at Roselawn Memorial Garden.
- election night reporting software utilizing grant funds.
- addition of Dr. James Goodwin and Garrome "Jerry" Franklin to Wood County Industrial Commission board as representative from Jarvis Christian College.
- trade in of pick-up truck for like-kind vehicle for Sheriff's office.
- Lake Holbrook Lake house lease agreement.
- Commissioners Court meeting dates October 3011 through September 2012.
- 2012 employee holidays and payroll dates.
- treasurer's August reports, pledge and/or release of securities and $30,000 bond for assistant treasurer, Sabrina Walker.
- service agreement for video recording system for county courtroom.
- proclamation recognizing National 4-H Week October 2-8.
- proclamation recognizing Eagle Scout attainment by Samuel Austin Brinlee of Quitman.
Personnel actions include:
- Amanda G. Galyean, new hire, dispatcher, WCSO, $14.82/hour.
- Branden C Gamm, new hire, jailer, WCSO, $14.82/hour.
- Dee Tackett, new hire, part-time temporary clerk, Tax Assessor/Collectors Office, $9.00/hour.
- Paula Bailey, separation, end of temporary part-time employment, Tax Assessor/Collectors Office, $9.00/hour.
- Sheila Diana Parris, resignation, Jailer, WCSO, $15.31/hour.
The next regular meeting of the Wood County Commissioners Court will be Friday, October 14, 2011 at 10 a.m. A special meeting of the court can be called with 72-hour public notice.
|< Prev||Next >|