HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Delightfully Delectable Dining

E-mail Print PDF

By: Steven L. Holland, President Hands Up Partners, Inc. (HUP, Inc.)

What makes some of your favorite restaurants so pleasant to go to, where you don't mind spending your hard-earned money dining and relaxing? For most people, the food may be superb, the atmosphere top notch, the noise level and music are pleasant, and prices are within their budgets. It's usually the right combination of all these things that makes certain places worth the time, effort, and money. A favorite restaurant's music may be a little too loud; or it may not have seating on the oceanfront deck available for you when you dine; or maybe the wait to get a table is a bit longer than you like to wait, and so on. Obviously, not everything has to be perfect, and enough positives, such as great prices and comfortable atmosphere, allow some minor "flaws" — such as no ocean or waterway view, for example — to be more easily overlooked than others. WE GET IT; people are different and prefer different experiences. This is why Delightfully Delectable Dining has ventured the current path of highlighting these area restaurants' top features.

THE HEALTHY SELECTION

More and more people are aware of the benefits of eating healthy, and many people are doing their best to adhere to a healthy diet. Eating healthy when you are home may be easy, but when you eat out, it can be a little challenging. Obesity is the #2 cause of preventable death in the United States. Being overweight or obese increases the risk of health conditions and diseases including: breast cancer, coronary heart disease, type II diabetes, sleep apnea, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis, colon cancer, hypertension and stroke. Depressed yet? While eating out at a casual restaurant can be fun and enjoyable, it can also sabotage a diet. Those trying to make wise food choices can find menu items that are low calorie, low fat, and still taste great.

Restaurants like Two Gringos are making healthy entrees more of a priority and consumers can find them easier on their menus. Placed in the center of every table, you will find a healthy selections menu that will provide you with tasteful options of food to also compliment positive health traits. For example, their Spinach Salad, with your option of chicken or tilapia this bound to satisfy your appetite. This salad has nuts sprinkled, and glazed with raspberry vinaigrette. Also partner Brian Thompson let us in on a key to their masterpiece. He said, "We don't make our salads too busy, but yet colorful and appealing". Additionally, Two Gringos offers on their healthy menu a pan seared tilapia with white rice and steamed vegetables plus various other options. Two Gringos is confident that you can comply with your diet and enjoy a meal at their restaurant.

BANG FOR YOUR BUCK

Many people buy into the myth that in order for your "money's worth dining out" you need to find the local buffet to eat. WRONG!! The truth is no matter what you are eating, you can only eat so much and restaurants use this knowledge to entice you. You still pay for everything you get, but you think you are getting more for less since no limit is placed on your consumption, and most will choose this option because it appeals to one's sense of value. A restaurant can make a lot of fries from one, inexpensive potato and a soft drink that may cost as little as $1.50 but may only cost the restaurant about fifteen cents. A customer would have to eat many fries and drink up to ten sodas just to break even with the restaurant. Nonetheless, the bottomless offer makes the product more attractive and keeps the customer happy with possible reduction in the quality of the food. People expect to pay a certain price for a certain amount and a certain quality of food. Even though everyone loves a bargain, people many times believe if the price is too low, the product must be defective. Again, before you pass judgment, I invite you to do the research for yourself.

Consider places like, Taste of Italy located on 3440 on Lake Hawkins. Yes, it's a bit off the majority of people's path, but the difference is worth the distance. The unbelievable lunch specials do it just right and give you the "bang for your buck". From Lasagna to a Philly cheesesteak sandwich the lunch selection is equipped with a variety of tasty selections. The three key ingredients add up:

· Great tasting food. (Made to order, in a timely manner, and FRESH)

· An abundance of food. (A soup or salad with all lunches, fresh bread, and an entrée that most adult men cannot finish at the restaurant)

· Affordable. ($7.95)

What more can you ask for? What about a relaxing lake view or an optional patio experience? Yes, that's available too. If you are really hungry for lunch or wish to have the rest of your lunch for a late afternoon snack, then try Taste of Italy lunch specials.

THE "CHEERS" EXPERIENCE

Gary Portnoy hit the nail on the head when he wrote the theme song for the 1980's sitcom "Cheers". The first few lines of that song describe one of the most important things people look for in a dining experience.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.

Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came.

You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same.

You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

People bored with their jobs, need a break from their kids, and need a "pick me up" (not drug or alcohol related) before they confront their daily lives. They would like for someone to say hello and "How's it going Jim?" This lets them know, "I see you". They want someone to remember that they want unsweet tea, two lemons, Splenda (not Sweet n' Low), and lots of ice... with a smile. This displays that, "I care". Additionally it's satisfactory to have someone come by and say, "How does it taste", or "Anything else". This additionally lets the customer know, "I am here for you". Life is hard enough; you need a home away from home, and to find that "Cheers Experience" that many folks are looking for.

Search no further, Mojo's (19th hole) at Holly Lake Ranch is going to pursue providing that experience. By at least the 3rd time that you have patronized the restaurant, someone on the staff is going to know your name. They are going to constantly seek out your preferences and how they can accommodate you. One customer states in a conversation about Mojos, "It never fails; Shannon will have my coffee ready by the time I hit my seat". Another customer told us "Jodi knows me better than I know myself at times". A friendly staff, a solid menu, and genuine experience are what this restaurant specializes in. Knowing your name is just the beginning for Mojos.With consumers still cautious about spending their cash, restaurants have placed particular emphasis on how to differentiate a dining out experience from merely eating at home, and according to the new American Customer Satisfaction Index, or ACSI, that focus has worked. Achieving high levels of satisfaction at a restaurant through good customer service, quality food and making diners feel valued is important because satisfied customers are more likely to return. On average, a satisfied customer will tell two to three people about your good food and service, whereas an unhappy one will tell five to 10 people how dissatisfied they were. Restaurant owners and operators will have to decide what lengths they want to go to in order to keep their customers happy. Some of them will really appreciate the gesture while others will walk out with exactly what they were looking for!