HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Sheriff Bill Wansley

E-mail Print PDF

I, Bill Wansley, am proud to announce for re-election of Sheriff of Wood County, Texas, as a Republican candidate. I took office as your Sheriff on January 1,2009.

I was born and raised in Wood County and attended Quitman schools and graduated from Quitman High School in 1966. After graduation I went to work for Wood County Electric Co-Op. In 19691 entered the United States Marine Corps serving with the 1 st Marine Division and served in the Vietnam conflict in 1970-1971. I returned home in March,· 1971, and served in a reserve status until 1975 and then Honorably discharged. In 1979 I went to work for Sheriff Bill Edd Jones as.a deputy and in 1980 I was shot and wounded in the line of duty by three escaping inmates. After recovering, I returned to work at the Sheriff's Office until 1989. I was then employed by the City of Quitman Police Department as a patrol office and later advanced to Sergeant. In 1995 I became Chief of Police when Chief Jim Certain retired. While employed by QPD I was able to earn my Masters Peace Officers certificate in 2000 At the end of 2008, after being elected Sheriff of Wood County, I started a new role in law enforcement. I have always tried to maintain a good relationship with other law enforcement agencies, in and outside Wood County, and have re-established a good working relationship with the Sheriffs from Hopkins, Franklin, Delta and Hunt counties, along with Sheriffs of other Texas counties. When available we meet once a month at a different location, along with our wives, and have a meal and discuss crime problems and different ideas and events. Due to the economic times we are in, it has become necessary to rely on departments such as Texas Parks and Wildlife, the Department of Public Safety, and the Ranger Service for help in major criminal investigations. We have also had the assistance of the DEA in narcotic investigations and TABC with alcohol related investigations. These agencies want to help and by using these resources it is financially beneficial to Wood County. Since being elected as Sheriff, I have started an animal control program and along with the help of Wood County Judge and the Commissioners, this program is working. The longer it is used the better it will become. We have also taken advantage in the "Most Wanted" on Channel 7 television and by using this FREE resource we have cleared many outstanding warrants. This has been a great success for Wood County. I have also starting using pickup trucks as patrol vehicles. These vehicles can be used for off-road travel better than cars, such as oil field roads, pastures, and dirt roads. They are used for hauling stolen property and pulling the Sheriff Office boats to the four county lakes when needed. All these trucks are equipped for this use. They cost lest to purchase, have more room inside for carrying. prisoners, and will bring more on trade in when finished with them. This is a savings to you, the taxpayers. Remember, this is , rural East Texas and some of the places we go you need a truck to get there. The patrol deputies have new vehicles to ensure good response time on calls, and AS PROMISED, my vehicle is a used vehicle and it works great for me. It is a 2005 Ford pickup truck with 155,000 plus miles on it. The "revolving door" problem has greatly decreased. Before it was over 50 deputies gone in 37 months and now in 32 months only 9 have left, with 3 of those terminated for disciplinary matters. Schools have been made available for deputies, jailers, court bailiffs and other local law enforcement agencies at the Wood County Sheriff's Department and all are TCLEOSE approved. The Wood County Sheriffs Department is actively working major crimes which took place before, as well as after, my being elected as Sheriff. I have also attended ALL the Sheriff's Association of Texas meetings as your Sheriff. On August 17,2011, I started my 33

rd year in full-time law enforcement. All of this time has been in Wood County, either with the City of Quitman or the Wood County Sheriff's Department. I have been married to my wife, Jeanette, for over 15 years and I have a step- daughter and son-in-law, Tanya and Don Weems of Quitman, and two grandsons, Jody and Josh Weems of College Station, Texas. We have been members of Lake Fork Baptist Church near Alba for over 12 years. I am also a member of the Sheriff's Association of Texas, The Marine Corps League 1278 Shane Goldman detachment of Mineola, The Fouke Community Crime Watch, The HAWKS in Winnsboro (Honorary Member), The American Legion Post 340 Winnsboro, TurkeyHill Shooting Club in Mineola, The Lake County Faternal Order of Police 103, The Lake County Republican Club of Wood County and The American Quarter Horse Association. My good friend, former Sheriff Bill Skinner, will again be my treasurer in my re- election campaign. Sheriff Skinner was the sheriff from 1995 to 2004 in Wood County. All candidates for the positiori of Sheriff of Wood County have announced to run on the Republican ballot. As it now stands, this race will be decided in March, 2012, unless there is a runoff. This county, along with this state and this nation, needs to hear from you, so VOTE, this is your way to speak out. Let's keep moving forward. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, re-elect Bill Wansley as your Sheriff for Wood County. I need your help. My campaign address is P. O. Box 351, Quitman, TX 75783. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME RE-ELECT A PROVEN LEADER

THE RIGHT CHOICE

POLITICAL ADVERTISMENT PAID FOR BY nru, SKINNER, TREASURER, P.O. BOX 351, QUI1MAN, TEXAS 75783,

SUBJECT TO THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY (903-967-7450).