HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Pastor David Hicks

E-mail Print PDF

In his book, Reaching Out, Henry Nouwen tells of visiting the University of Notre Dame where he himself had been a teacher for a few years. One day he strolled across the beautiful campus with an older and more experienced professor who had spent most of his life there at Notre Dame. With a certain melancholy in his voice, the professor told Nouwen, "You know,...my whole life I have been complaining that my work was constantly interrupted, until I discovered that my interruptions were my work."

Sometimes we see interruptions as those things which interfere with our ministry and our plans and our life scheme when in reality, if we have the eyes to see, these interruptions can be a significant part of our ministry.

Also, we sometimes see changes as interruptions. Changes tend to interrupt the flow of things. Changes force us to come out of our comfort zones, and tend to make us nervous or uneasy. However, in reality, these changes, these interruptions can also be a significant part of our ministry.

Changes are a part of life and part of the ministry. May God give us strength, courage, and grace, to deal with changes that come our way, both in life and in the church.

David Hicks, Pastor

Hawkins First United Methodist Church