Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Inky & John The Saga Continues

E-mail Print PDF

Inky & John The Saga Continues

A Question Of Ownership

The recent flap between Inky and Pancho has made me think a little more about the whole idea of the upcoming nuptials between Inky and Robbie, our newest member. I decided I had better have a long talk with both of them, so I called them in from the back yard where they all were taking a sunbath. Naturally, the whole group came trotting in and took their places, Inky on my lap, Pancho and Spots in Libby's chair, and the rest in front of the TV. Not wanting to have a full fledged mob discussion, I decided to lay down some rules.

"Inky, I called you in so that I can discuss the wedding, and, while I don't mind having everyone in here, I just want to talk to you and Robbie. Please explain to the others that they are welcome to stay, but they must be quiet."

Inky turned around and grumbled something to the others, then turned back to face me. "What's this all about, John?" he asked after giving me a big nose kiss. "Is there a problem with the plans?"

I thought for a moment, then said, "Inky, what do you really know about marriage?"

Inky sat down in my lap and turned to face Robbie. He was quiet for a while and I thought maybe he was not going to answer. I was about to ask him again when he said, "I know it means being together and loving each other. I know it means protecting your mate against harm. I know it means that Robbie would belong only to me."

I rubbed that beautiful, black head of hair and said "Inky, all those things are true in a way, but there are a couple of things you should know about Robbie 'belonging only to you'. Libby and I belong to each other, but I don't OWN her. Everybody belongs to themselves and that's the way it should be. Like the other day when you got angry with Pancho at the water bowl. Robbie and Pancho are friends, and they have a right to that friendship. You should not get mad over such a little thing."

Inky looked at Robbie. "John, do you mean that, after we're married she still doesn't belong to me?"

"Well, I know it's hard to understand, little pal. Yes, she will belong to you and you will belong to her, but that does not mean that you OWN her. Inky, I don't own you, but I love you and I'll do my best to take care of you the rest of your life. Nobody owns anybody. You're here with us because you love us, not because we own you. Do you understand any of this?"

He thought for a minute, and then spoke. "No, I don't understand all of it, but you've given both of us some things to think about." With that he gave me a big nose kiss, jumped down and they all headed for the kitchen.

I sat back and took a sip of coffee. Maybe I could have a career in doggie counseling.