Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Inspiring Peak Performance

E-mail Print PDF
What Kindergarten Can Teach
the Dallas Cowboys
Note: It is tax season and I hope you will forgive me if I pull up a column I wrote late last year that somehow ended up in Wilson's cyber-wastebasket. I think the principles still apply.
I couldn't bear it anymore. I am in Cincinnati on business and I was concerned that the local Fox affiliate wouldn't air the Cowboy game. After all, Dallas hasn't been America's Team for decades. Sadly, instead of filling the afternoon time slots with fare that would have been more entertaining and uplifting-like America's Most Wanted Reality TV Stars, The Simpsons Meet the Family Guy in a Very Hot Place, or Madonna's Life Lessons for Impressionable Young Girls-the game was on.
I have such fond memories of watching Dallas Cowboy games with my Dad back in the day. It was a family tradition. We would cheer and yell at the TV together. Father and son bonding sponsored by class acts like Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly and a host of others led by the imperturbable, self-disciplined, religious man in the Fedora hat, coach Tom Landry. How things have changed for the worse.
After a pathetic, lack-luster first half effort and a lopsided score in favor of the Philadelphia Eagles, I left the hotel room to get dinner. Sadly, I was seated where I could see a TV and it was all I could do to keep my tortilla soup and quesadillas down. I couldn't groan or cry. Little sympathy would be forthcoming from the local patrons who, their own Ohio teams' seasons ended, probably rejoice at the downfall of the haughty ‘Boys.
During preseason the Cowboys were an odds-on favorite to be in the Super Bowl. On paper, they were loaded with talent-gifted athletes. In real life they are a bunch of underperforming individuals. It's why they play the games and throw away the paper. Unfortunately, the owner, who I am convinced is blinded by arrogance, hires for skill and doesn't understand or care about what it really takes to build a championship team. I suggest Jerry Jones sells the Cowboys and buys a tennis player. He could probably afford two-just don't sign them up for doubles matches.
Mary and my second daughter, Kristine, teaches kindergarten students in Arlington. I think Jerry Jones could learn a lesson or two from kindergarten.
· Kids who are not taught how to get along well with others will disrupt an entire class. It only takes one.
· For the good of the class, the bad kids have to be properly disciplined and, at times, removed from the class.
· Bad kids can suck up all the energy and attention that should be given to good kids.
· The class cannot reach its full potential when bad kids misbehave.
· To reward bad kids is not only stupid, it is harmful.
· Most of the kids are adorable, obedient, and eager to learn. Teachers love to teach these kids.

It's too bad you can't fire an owner. Here is what Jerry Jones does not know:
· When building a championship team, character is infinitely more valuable than talent.
· To cook up synergy-the whole being greater than the sum of the parts-the key ingredient is humility, or, coachability, if you will.
Alas, we don't know what we don't know. Take a little knowledge, mix in money or power, add a peck of arrogance and what you get is danger soup. Maybe Kristine should buy the Cowboys. I know the first thing she would do is send Terrell Owens and Pac-man Jones to the principle's office.