Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

“Over My Shoulder…” by

E-mail Print PDF
"Over My Shoulder..." by
Steve H Kehoe
Here's one that is making its way around once again-does so every few years: I claim no originality in this piece, but I did re-work some of the examples to make it more topical. For your edification:
"I Wish I Had The Time Back..."
All too often, people procrastinate for no good reason, then bemoan the lost opportunity too late to alter their choices. We are loathe to change our set routines for many reasons, most of them inconsequential.
What about all those passengers on the Titanic who passed up dessert?
What about all the times we decided to eat at home simply because we had thawed out something, and felt compelled to use it that night?
Remember all the times your kids wanted to talk while you watched something on TV?
How about all the excuses you made when a friend invited you to have lunch? What opportunities did you probably miss to communicate with someone trying to reach you?
We postpone opportunities for becoming closer every time we make excuses such as:
"We'll entertain once we get this god-awful carpeting replaced"
"We'll go on a second honeymoon after we get these three kids through college"
"We'll take that trip up north to see the Fall foliage once the price of gas goes down"
"I know Grandpa & Grandma would like to see the kids, but they live so far away"
Remember saying: "It's nothing serious; I've felt worse than this before!"
I'd love to try one of those new ice cream flavors, but I've already gained two pounds.
I'd love to talk to my friend back East, but I'm sure she's too busy to take my call.
Why do we lie and say "I'm fine" when a good friend asks how you're feeling?
How many times did you disappoint your child by saying "Not now, maybe later"?
When is the last time you paid total attention to the one who addresses you at a party, instead of glancing around the room or wishing you were anywhere else?
How many times have you said, in regret, "If only I had kissed her/him when I had the chance?"
LIFE MAY NOT BE THE PARTY WE EXPECTED, BUT AS LONG AS WE'RE HERE............WE MAY AS WELL DANCE!! Steve H Kehoe, Edited from the Original work. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it