HLRGazette Archives

Relive some of our best stories.

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

A Dash of Pepper

E-mail Print PDF
The president recently talked about finding out whose ass should be kicked. (Yes, I know you have some pertinent suggestions ...) Seems to me that a true leader would first seek a solution to the crisis at hand and think about who bears the blame later. However, the whole issue of leadership is becoming larger by the day. More on that in a week or two.
But the people out there really kicking butt are tough-minded conservative females who are on the campaign war path.
Out in Arizona, Gov. Jan Brewer is promoting another piece of immigration-related legislation. It will also cause a firestorm because it goes after the problem of "anchor babies" - the practice of females coming over both illegal and pregnant.
Sharron Nagle in Nevada is doing a media tour taunting Harry Reid into open combat. Sarah Palin is on Facebook giving Obama some elementary lessons on combating an oil spill and overseeing oil companies.
Over in California, Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman are itching for battle - big time.
All these accomplished women are going to face tough campaigns, and some of it is going to be downright silly, not to mention sexist.
The latest example is a Tennessee state legislator by the name of Janis Sontany. It has leaked out that at a Democrat event, she said, regarding her Republican women colleagues in the legislature, "You have to lift their skirts to find out if they are women. You sure can't find out by how they vote."
Beautiful, tough conservative women simply drive the Liberals, male and female, completely nuts. I wonder if there is a psychologist or psychiatrist somewhere who could tackle this phenomenon ...
I'd say that Sarah Palin, Nikki Haley, winner of the gubernatorial primary in North Carolina, Congresswoman Michelle Bachman from Minnesota, commentators Anne Coulter, Laura Ingraham and Michelle Malkin are all very bright, highly attractive and conservative. African American women are also in the mix - the beautiful Angela McGlowan, running for Congress as a Republican right now in Mississippi, and vivacious Star Parker, who is a leader of the Tea Party movement in California and running for Congress in that state. Will the Libs exempt the black ladies from the sexist slurs? Probably. They'll let their black colleagues call these ladies sellouts.
A few years back, one Leftie even went after the late Jeanne Kirkpatrick, disparaging her appearance. She was our representative at the United Nations under Ronald Reagan and a prominent intellectual from the center/right. As a young woman she was what one would describe as handsome. As she aged, she was still striking, but at some point, age does catch up. She was a heroine of mine and I loathed hearing the foolish comments from the Left.
Some efforts are just plain stupid and trivial. Recently, someone of the Left got a lot of play in the media by suggesting that Sarah Plain had breast augmentation. It's the kind of thing you want to simply ignore, but in the end she had to answer. She said she did not have implants and added she couldn't "believe we are talking about this."
The tactic comes straight from the Alinski playbook - trivialize, demonize, dehumanize, especially when you can't win on the issues being debated. The fact that they are women does not protect attractive bright conservative candidates and leaders from being subject to disgusting tactics.
Happily, these women also have courage and they are moving fearlessly ahead. They could give the president a lesson on kicking ass, big time!
Copyright©2010SheilahPepper